VTCT Level 3 Beauty Lecturer
What courses do you teach here at LSBM?
I teach the VTCT Level 3 Beauty Therapy Diploma.
What do you enjoy the most about teaching?
Everyday is different and seeing the students learning new skills which you are passionate about is really rewarding. I love to see where their careers take them!
What did you study?
I returned to education at 23 after qualifying in accountancy first. It was my dream to become a beauty therapist so I did an intensive 9-month CIBTAC course.
What is your area of expertise?
Facials and skincare is definitely my area of expertise.
What have been your career highlights?
As a teacher:
- Achieving an award for outstanding commitment to teaching, nominated by my students.
- Completing my certificate in Education.
- Being graded Outstanding twice by Ofstead in school inspections.
As a therapist - working for 5-star cruise liners and travelling the world.
What made you decide to go into education and teach at LSBM?
During my time studying, I've had really inspiring, motivating teachers and I thought I would like to do that. I came to LSBM because of its excellent reputation and commitment to students.
What is your Beauty Motto?
Put on some red lipstick and live a little - Elizabeth Taylor
What do you like to do in your spare time?
Travel and explore new places both in England and abroad. I also love to read, go to live music events and pamper myself.
What is your favourite treatment to have and why?
A facial of any kind, because it is relaxing and also significantly improves or maintains your skin.
What do you enjoy the most about the beauty industry?
The impact that you have on clients and how it makes clients feel. If someone has concerns about their skin, you can advise and care for their skin to make them feel better, it is really rewarding.
What do you think is the most innovative beauty treatment/product to launch in recent years?
For me it is LASER & IPL, it can make such a difference to peoples confidence about unwanted hair or skin rejuvenation. The machines are incredible with results to match.
What are your top 5 tips for any budding therapist?
- Try some work experience in a salon or spa and see if you can see yourself in that environment.
- Be prepared for long tiring hours on your feet (comfortable shoes are a must!)
- It's essential that you like meeting and being around new people as you will meet new people everyday.
- Study hard and practise outside of the school, the more you practice the better you will be.
- You will never be shy again, you will see and treat clients for all sorts of treatments!