In today’s age, we have Youtube at our fingertips where we can simply search ‘how to create a smokey eye’ with tens of thousands of tutorials popping up in seconds,
With the thousands of makeup tutorials out there, available at our fingertips, accessible in seconds - it may make you question if it’s even worth studying a makeup course when you can from learn from watching makeup tutorials from the internet.
However, it is much more beneficial to study a professional makeup course to become a fully qualified makeup artist. On an accredited course, you will learn the correct artistry techniques and a variety of styles of makeup for occasions such as weddings, parties and proms.
Become a professional makeup artist with us at the London School of Beauty and Makeup.
Established since 1995, we have nurtured the talents of countless makeup artists who have gone on to work in fashion, TV, film and media.
The makeup tutors at the London School of Beauty and Makeup have a minimum of five years of experience and have established careers within the industry.
Our courses are ideal for those who are interested in studying and living abroad in the Big Smoke and to invest in their passion. Students are granted the opportunity to attend masterclasses with high-end brands such as Charlotte Tilbury and MAC Cosmetics. As well as getting to work with professional photographers on photoshoots to produce content for their portfolio.
One student said, “I came to London School of Beauty and Makeup to be able to come to London from Cape Town, South Africa and make friends alongside being creative everyday. I feel like you can also get jobs easier having a professional makeup qualification from the UK.”
What can you study with us?
We offer a range of courses that match any aspiring makeup artists’ interests and needs to launch a successful makeup career.
Our Complete Pro Makeup Designer Diploma course with Advanced Development, you will learn everything you need to know to become a fully-fledged makeup artist.
On this course you will learn:
- Make-up Artistry Hygiene – understanding the importance of artist hygiene and professional standards
- Make-up Kit & Tools – this covers in detail the make-up, tools, skincare and disposables that you will need to start off a professional kit, and the best ways to pack and transport your kit
- Health, Hygiene & Safety – understand how to safely use and store hazardous chemicals
- Posture and Positioning – how to position your client, and how to work safely around your client
- Client Consultation & Psychology – how to identify and decipher the look your client is requesting
- Skin Science & Consultation – different skin types, conditions, and how to prep the skin before make-up application
- Contraindications and contra-actions – understand how to recognise these as they may restrict or prevent make-up application
- Colour Theory – gain a full understanding of the colour wheel, colour combinations and colour correction
- Facial Architecture & Contouring – how to highlight and shade to redefine the structure of the face
- Priming, Colour Correction & Camouflage – learn the techniques used to create a flawless base application
- Product Performance & Placement – understand how to enhance natural beauty, products to include: foundation, concealer, powder, blusher, eyebrow products, eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascara, lash enhancements and lip products
- Bridal Make-up Artistry – consultation, application and other considerations
- False Lash Application – strip and cluster
- Different Eye Make-up Styles & Techniques
- Face Chart Design & Elements of Inspiration
- Industry Codes of Conduct and Professional Ethics
1 Week Session Hairstyling
- Hair Structure & Anatomy- understand the structure of the hair and how to identify condition, density and texture
- Client Care, Products & Hygiene – client consultation, product selection and performance, proper sanitisation of tools
- Equipment & Tools – the correct use of styling tools and tricks of the trade
- Product Training – how to prepare hair with the appropriate products to set the hairstyle
- Blow Drying Techniques – straight & curly
- Roller set and Root Movement Theory
- Pin Curling
- Different Curling Techniques – heated tools
- The Perfect Ponytail
- Twisting and Pinning Hair
- Preparation for Putting Hair Up
- Understanding Different Hair Lengths and Behaviours
- Bridal Hair Styles & Accessories
- Various Styles for Dressing Long Hair i.e. Chignon, French Pleat, Classic bun
- Back Combing/Brushing
- Hair Pins and Accessories – the different use of hair pins and accessories
5 Week Fashion & Media Make-up Artistry
- Practical & Theoretical Workshops consisting of written material and interactive visual demonstrations
- Close-up Beauty Make-up
- Metallics & Embellishment
- Customised Lashes
- Body Art
- Interpreting a Client’s Brief – the planning, preparing and execution of the make-up
- Brand Awareness
- Customising & Creating Products
- The role of the Make-up Designer and understanding Team Dynamics
- Special Effects Make-up Workshop
- Character and Historical Make-up Design
- Body Art
- HD Media Airbrushing
- Editorial, Fashion & Photographic Make-up
- Runway & Catwalk
- Avant-Garde and Creative Artistry
- Editorial Nail Techniques
- Male Grooming
- The Industry – set etiquette and backstage protocol
- Two Professional Photographer & Model Studio Shoots – gain professional images for your portfolio
The course runs for a total of 12 weeks (3 months) from 10am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The total costs of the course £6,700 which inclusive of course fees, mandatory course materials, awarding body registration & exam fees.
Senior makeup lecturer Jolanta Sewell expands on why it is a wise investment to study at a professional makeup course at our school in London:
“For prospective employer, it's an easy way to make a formal decision on skills, knowledge and talent of potential candidate in an instant. Employability at higher percentage and chance to get your foot in the door quicker with completed formal qualifications which is standardized across the education system.”
Our department of makeup, Beth Margetts further explains the importance of studying a professional course:
“Choosing an accredited qualification makes all the difference to your makeup training. From start to finish there's a goal to get you to pass the qualification with flying results and we are always aiming for Distinctions from our students so our tutors push you every step of the way.
It’s better than getting a certificate for just showing up to a class, a qualification makes you proud of what you have achieved and of course these are internationally recognised so even better for overseas students or if you wish to take your skills to another country to work!”
What past students have to say about our makeup courses
We deliver the best tuition in makeup artistry courses in London to our students and are delighted to hear that they have a great experience with us. Read some of what our alumni said about us below:
Vanshika Dogra gave us a 5-star review and said of her time with us: “I did the MASA 8 makeup course from LSBM. Coming to London was an experience in itself but studying at this school made it all the more worth it. This school has everything for makeup enthusiasts, they have makeup products from almost every brand they teach you with such love and care. Especially my tutor Jolanta was one of the best teachers there. She is one of the most talented and best people I came across. They also have in freelancers and experts coming in the school from the makeup industry to teach us makeup as well. I would recommend this school to everyone who wants to be a makeup artist! You’ll have the time of your life!”
Nadia Mohammed recalled of her time here “I did the MASA makeup course with LSBM and it was absolutely the best time working with the lovely teachers and amazing students..the course definitely builds you to confidently do work on clients upon completion..everything was detailed (A lot of things you can’t learn on YouTube!) and well structured, lots of professional makeup brands to play with and Jolanta was very keen on students, ensuring that we each did everything correctly. They also email you with work opportunities which is just amazing and exciting. Iloved my time there and miss everyone 😘”
One of our most recent graduates, Jo Killick left us a glowing 5-star review, expressing her joy studying with us. “I completed my Advanced Diploma in MASA Makeup and Hair Styling in March this year after three months and cannot recommend this school highly enough. They are forward-thinking, creative & fun, and once qualified very supportive in your journey as you venture out into the scary world of being an MUA. There are lots of opportunities to apply to be an assistant and they have recently launched masterclasses specialising in areas of makeup that maybe you need more time on (e.g, Halloween).
The course offers training in most aspects of make up with highly qualified and inspiring teachers who are also make up artists. I did all three modules and wish there were more I could do!”