VTCT Level 4 Certificate in LASER and IPL Treatments
This course will provide you with a fully comprehensive education within LASER and IPL treatments. It is an advanced course specialising in reducing hair growth and photo rejuvenation of the skin using intense light and laser treatments. In this qualification, you will develop an understanding of managing safe working practice and how to identify and control hazards. You will also learn how to identify hair and skin conditions and those clients suitable for intense light and laser system treatments in our medispa environment. Training is held in small groups and during your clinical practice you will be assessed on your occupational competence.
Underpinning knowledge will be delivered by lectures for the duration of 3 days. You will be allocated a further 4 days for clinical practice in order for you to complete your ranges and practical assessments, these days will be organised with your tutor upon the start of your course where practical knowledge will be fully achieved. Sunday courses will run over 7 consecutive Sundays, these days will include theory, practical and assessment. The LSBM Salon & Spa has a large database of clients, however should you wish to accelerate the assessment process then family & friends may be introduced to come in for treatments at a special reduced price.
Only a 20% Deposit is required to secure your place on this course if the course start date is more than 1 calendar month away. International students will need to pay an International student fee. Any courses with a start date less than one calendar month away will be required to pay full balance. To discuss payment plan options, please call the administration team on 020 7776 9766.
For clinical practice you will be using the LYNTON system (IPL 585; 650 and Nd:Yag 1064) which is a professional salon brand and is approved for operation within the NHS. Students have to come in prepared for clinical practice days as advised by the tutor and must strictly adhere to our guideline policy.
The dates listed for the course will be your theory days, clinical practice days will be organised with your tutor on your first day of study and must be taken within 4 weeks of your original start date.
underpinning knowledge & Hair removal
- Core Knowledge of electromagnetic spectrum; photons, light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation (LASER) and intense pulsed light (IPL).
- The difference between LASER and IPL light therapy, and methods of applications for hair removal and skin rejuvenation treatments.
- Recap of the anatomy and physiology of integumentary, endocrine, circulatory and lymphatic system in relation to light therapy treatments. (Please note that the Level 3 Anatomy and Physiology qualification is prerequisite to this unit)
- How to prepare and demonstrate LASER and IPL treatments including: preparation of the therapist, client, working area, full consultation, tissue analysis & fitzpatrick scale, contraindications, aftercare advice, clinical outcome, clinical side effects, full treatment protocol, recording and evaluation of the treatment – all in compliance with LASER and IPL local rules and legislations procedure.
- How to perform hair removal treatments using IPL and LASER for all areas of the body; setting correct parameters for the hair type and colour on different skin types.
- Toning: Skin rejuvenation treatments that improve the appearance of all visible signs of ageing caused by sun damage such as brown spots (pigmentation), redness (thread veins), uneven skin texture and lines and wrinkles.
- Pigment Removal: Pigmented lesions such as sun spots and freckles can be successfully removed creating a more flawless, youthful and glowing appearance.
- Red Vein Removal: Long term solution for facial problems such as Red Flushing (Rosacea), reducing Superficial Telangiectasia, treating Spider Naevi and Campbell De Morgan spots (blood spots).
- Acne: Greatly reduces the number and severity of active lesions, lessening the inflammation (by speeding up healing process) and the frequency of breakouts.
The Assessment for this course will consist of:
- Internal Test Question Paper: Demonstrating knowledge for hair removal and skin rejuvenation treatments.
- Assignments: Written questions demonstrating your underpinning knowledge for each unit and must be word processed.
- Ranges: All ranges must be covered, for hair removal a minimum of 10 practical treatments are needed to cover all the essential ranges. For skin rejuvenation, approximately 10 practical treatments are needed to cover all the essential ranges.
- Observations: 3 observations of practical assessments for hair removal and 3 observations of practical assessments for skin rejuvenation.
On completion of this course, learners will receive the following qualification:
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Laser and Intense Pulsed Light Treatments
- Minimum Level 2 Facials & Skincare qualification plus Level 3 Facial Electrotherapy and Level 3 Anatomy and Physiology qualifications
- The minimum age for entry is 18 years – no exceptions.
- An excellent level of English is required, you must be able to speak, read, write and understand English fluently to undertake this course.
- International Students will be required to gain a 'Short Term Study Visa' to study this course, we are unable to accept International Students for the Sunday course.