MASA – Pro Make-up Artistry & Hair Certificate
During this 4 week course, learners will become competent in the foundation skills of make-up artistry and hair styling. The course is suitable for those who would like to start their own bridal make-up business or use this course as a stepping stone for the more advanced make-up courses. In addition to learning the foundations of make-up artistry, the course combines the more creative aspects of make-up alongside intensive hair styling for beauty, bridal and photographic. The course is accredited by MASA (Make-up Art Standards Authority) and learners will receive a MASA Award in Make-up Principles qualification along with two 1 week MASA module certificates: D100: Fashion & Media Hairstyling and D200: Fashion, Photographic & Editorial Make-up Artistry.
The course concludes with a professional fashion photographer and agency model photo shoot to gain a portfolio image.
MASA Make-up courses are taught by a hybrid of permanent in-house make-up & hair lecturers alongside guest freelance make-up & hair artists who are all currently active within the industry. You will learn the most current and up-to-date industry techniques by leading professionals.
No previous experience is necessary. This course is ideal for those who are looking to break into the make-up industry and top-up their existing skills.
Only a 20% Deposit is required to secure your place on this course if the course start date is more than 1 calendar month away. International students will need to pay an International student fee. Any courses with a start date less than one calendar month away will be required to pay full balance. To discuss payment plan options, please call the administration team on 020 7776 9766.
2 Week Make-up Principles
MASA Award in Make-up Principles
- Make-up Artistry Hygiene – understanding the importance of artist hygiene and professional standards
- Make-up Kit & Tools – this covers in detail the make-up, tools, skincare and disposables that you will need to start off a professional kit, and the best ways to pack and transport your kit
- Health, Hygiene & Safety – understand how to safely use and store hazardous chemicals
- Posture and Positioning – how to position your client, and how to work safely around your client
- Client Consultation & Psychology – how to identify and decipher the look your client is requesting
- Skin Science & Consultation – different skin types, conditions, and how to prep the skin before make-up application
- Contraindications and contra-actions – understand how to recognise these as they may restrict or prevent make-up application
- Colour Theory – gain a full understanding of the colour wheel, colour combinations and colour correction
- Facial Architecture & Contouring – how to highlight and shade to redefine the structure of the face
- Priming, Colour Correction & Camouflage – learn the techniques used to create a flawless base application
- Product Performance & Placement – understand how to enhance natural beauty, products to include: foundation, concealer, powder, blusher, eyebrow products, eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascara, lash enhancements and lip products
- Bridal Make-up Artistry – consultation, application and other considerations
- False Lash Application – strip and cluster
- Different Eye Make-up Styles & Techniques
- Face Chart Design & Elements of Inspiration
- Industry Codes of Conduct and Professional Ethics
1 Week Session Hairstyling
MASA D100 Module Certificate in Fashion & Media Hairstyling
- Hair Structure & Anatomy- understand the structure of the hair and how to identify condition, density and texture
- Client Care, Products & Hygiene – client consultation, product selection and performance, proper sanitisation of tools
- Equipment & Tools – the correct use of styling tools and tricks of the trade
- Product Training – how to prepare hair with the appropriate products to set the hairstyle
- Plaiting and Pleats
- Blow Drying Techniques – straight & curly
- Roller set and Root Movement Theory
- Pin Curling
- Different Curling Techniques – heated tools
- The Perfect Pony Tail
- Twisting and Pinning Hair
- Preparation for Putting Hair Up
- Understanding Different Hair Lengths and Behaviours
- Bridal Hair Styles & Accessories
- Various Styles for Dressing Long Hair i.e. Chignon, French Pleat, Classic bun
- Back Combing/Brushing
- Hair Pins and Accessories – the different use of hair pins and accessories
1 Week Fashion Make-up Artistry
MASA D200 Module Certificate in Fashion, Photographic & Editorial Make-up Artistry
- Editorial, Fashion & Photographic Make-up Artistry – learn the art of creating dewy skin, adding freckles/gloss, different eye lining and shading techniques, the perfect red lip, high shine lips, metallics, glitter and different mascara application techniques
- Product, Performance and Placement – understand how to use specialised products for fashion and beauty editorial
- Photographic Lighting Effects – create black and white, colour and contemporary photographic styles
- Inspiration & Reference – learn how to think like a designer and effectively research a brief
- Male Grooming & Children’s Make-up
- Location, Backstage, Studio & On-set Protocol – understand what is required of a freelance make-up artist working in the fashion, beauty & media industries. Backstage etiquette and working as a team is also discussed
- Runway and Catwalk Workshop
- Professional Photographer & Model Studio Shoot to gain a professional portfolio image
Students will be assessed in the form of two practical examinations, and are required to submit a portfolio of evidence upon completion of the course. You will be allocated 1-month after the course completion date to complete and submit your portfolio.
Upon successful completion of the course, learners will receive the following qualification and unit certificates:
- MASA Award in Make-up Principles
- MASA D100 Module in Fashion & Media Hairstyling
- MASA D200 Module in Fashion, Photographic & Editorial Make-up Artistry
- The minimum age for entry to this course is 18 years – no exceptions.
- No previous experience required, although a good general education is essential.
- An excellent level of English is required to attend this course, you must be able to speak, read, write and understand English fluently.
- International students will be required to gain a 'Short-term Study Visa'.