MASA – The Complete Pro Make-up Designer Diploma
This 8-week course is a fully comprehensive qualification in professional make-up design, covering all aspects of make-up artistry across a variety of industries including beauty, bridal, fashion, and media. The course is accredited by MASA (Make-up Art Standards Authority) and learners will receive the following qualifications upon successful completion of the course: MASA Award in Make-up Principles and the MASA Diploma in Fashion & Media Make-up Artistry with Hairstyling. Throughout the 8 weeks, students will attend two photo shoots with a professional fashion photographer and agency model to gain portfolio images.
MASA Make-up courses are taught by a hybrid of permanent in-house make-up & hair lecturers alongside guest freelance make-up & hair artists who are all currently active within the industry. You will learn the most current and up-to-date industry techniques by leading professionals. Students who attend this course are guaranteed work experience through our huge database of industry contacts; we are well known for producing the highest standard of artist who is ready and prepared for industry.
A comprehensive understanding of essential business skills and the industry will enable learners to feel confident when starting their own freelance career.
2 Week Make-up Principles
Accredited MASA Award in Make-up Principles
- Make-up Artistry Hygiene – understanding the importance of artist hygiene and professional standards
- Make-up Kit & Tools – this covers in detail the make-up, tools, skincare and disposables that you will need to start off a professional kit, and the best ways to pack and transport your kit
- Health, Hygiene & Safety – understand how to safely use and store hazardous chemicals
- Posture and Positioning – how to position your client, and how to work safely around your client
- Client Consultation & Psychology – how to identify and decipher the look your client is requesting
- Skin Science & Consultation – different skin types, conditions, and how to prep the skin before make-up application
- Contraindications and contra-actions – understand how to recognise these as they may restrict or prevent make-up application
- Colour Theory – gain a full understanding of the colour wheel, colour combinations and colour correction
- Facial Architecture & Contouring – how to highlight and shade to redefine the structure of the face
- Priming, Colour Correction & Camouflage – learn the techniques used to create a flawless base application
- Product Performance & Placement – understand how to enhance natural beauty, products to include: foundation, concealer, powder, blusher, eyebrow products, eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascara, lash enhancements and lip products
- Bridal Make-up Artistry – consultation, application and other considerations
- False Lash Application – strip and cluster
- Different Eye Make-up Styles & Techniques
- Face Chart Design & Elements of Inspiration
- Industry Codes of Conduct and Professional Ethics
6 Week Fashion & Media Make-up Artistry
Accredited MASA Diploma in Fashion & Media Make-up Artistry with Hairstyling
1 Week Session Hairstyling
- Hair Structure & Anatomy- understand the structure of the hair and how to identify condition, density and texture
- Client Care, Products & Hygiene – client consultation, product selection and performance, proper sanitisation of tools
- Equipment & Tools – the correct use of styling tools and tricks of the trade
- Product Training – how to prepare hair with the appropriate products to set the hairstyle
- Blow Drying Techniques – straight & curly
- Roller set and Root Movement Theory
- Pin Curling
- Different Curling Techniques – heated tools
- The Perfect Pony Tail
- Twisting and Pinning Hair
- Preparation for Putting Hair Up
- Understanding Different Hair Lengths and Behaviours
- Bridal Hair Styles & Accessories
- Various Styles for Dressing Long Hair i.e. Chignon, French Pleat, Classic bun
- Back Combing/Brushing
- Hair Pins and Accessories – the different use of hair pins and accessories
5 Week Fashion & Media Make-up Artistry
- Practical & Theoretical Workshops consisting of written material and interactive visual demonstrations
- Close-up Beauty Make-up
- Metallics & Embellishment
- Customised Lashes
- Body Art
- Interpreting a Client’s Brief – the planning, preparing and execution of the make-up
- Brand Awareness
- Customising & Creating Products
- The role of the Make-up Designer and understanding Team Dynamics
- Special Effects Make-up Workshop
- Character and Historical Make-up Design
- Body Art
- HD Media Airbrushing
- Editorial, Fashion & Photographic Make-up
- Runway & Catwalk
- Avant-Garde and Creative Artistry
- Editorial Nail Techniques
- Male Grooming
- The Industry – set etiquette and backstage protocol
- Two Professional Photographer & Model Studio Shoots – gain professional images for your portfolio
As part of the syllabus you will also learn
- Product Performance & Placement to understand how to use specialised products for fashion and media to become confident in using mediums such as aqua colour, supra colour, gels, tints, creams, powders and a vast variety of products
- Understanding of Photographic Lighting Effects to create black and white and colour images and contemporary photographic styles
- Inspiration & Reference, including a research excursion
- Learners will attend 2 Professional Photographer & Model Studio Shoots to gain professional portfolio images.
LSBM have strong relationships with luxury cosmetic brands, allowing our students to participate in exclusive shopping events and brand masterclasses. The school is world renowned and our make-up courses are designed to meet industry standards and to offer our students the best opportunities to reach their full potential.
Upon graduation, alumni students will have the opportunity to join our highly successful Events Team, which is crucial for gaining industry contacts after the course has finished. Aftercare is very important to us, and we like to keep in touch will all of our student alumni, the Events Team is just one element of our commitment to you after graduation.
Students will be assessed on their practical skills throughout the course and will be required to submit a portfolio of evidence after the course completion. Students will have up to 1 month after the course has finished to complete and hand in their portfolio for final assessment.
Upon completion of the course, learners will receive the following certificates:
- MASA Award in Make-up Principles
- MASA Diploma in Fashion & Media Make-up Artistry with Hairstyling
- LSBM Certificate in Airbrushing
- The minimum age for entry to this course is 18 years – no exceptions.
- No previous experience required, although a good general education is essential.
- An excellent level of English is required to attend this course, you must be able to speak, read, write and understand English fluently.
- International students will be required to gain a 'Short-term Study Visa'.
The following items are mandatory for this course and are included in the total course cost. If you already posses any of these items then we are happy to refund the cost to you; please email us or visit the school office.
|MASA Award Registration Fee||£60|
|MASA Diploma Registration Fee||£60|
|MASA Face Chart Pad & Colour Wheel||£17.50|
The following items are not included but are highly recommended for this course.
|MASA Set of 17 Brushes & Brush Belt||£119|
|LSBM Pro Brush Cleanser||£10|
|LSBM Pro Palette Sanitizer||£15|